Friday 1 January 2021

My Scottish Journey through 2021

For some months now - in fact, ever since 9th August 2019, I have been steadily searching for, and purchasing, Scottish novels written between 1808 and 1832 (the year Sir Walter Scott died). I already had nearly all of Scott's prose works, having bought them quite cheaply from the early 1980s onwards.  Then, between August and October 2019, I purchased and read Susan Ferrier's three three-decker novels: Marriage (1818), The Inheritance (1824) and Destiny (1831). This led me into buying several books on not only Ferrier but on Scottish Nineteenth Century Fiction

Carcanet New Press first edition - 1979

I began (typically) with enthusiasm to collect novels written at both ends of the century. I now have a small collection of what have been termed (disparagingly) Kailyard fiction, mainly written from the 1880s to the early 1900s. Although, I had already read some (mainly Ian MacLaren), these will have to wait until 2022 before I engage with them.

Not so the start of the century. Alerted to names I had no more than a nodding acquaintance with - Galt and Lockhart; and those who had completely passed me by - Elizabeth Hamilton, Brunton, Dick Lauder, Thomas Hamilton and Smyth; I have now (at some expense) collected over 50 novels, many of them three-deckers, of that vibrant period in Scottish Letters. My 2021 Plan is to [re-]read as many of them as I can by the end of December, starting today with a re-read of Elizabeth Hamilton's The Cottagers of Glenburnie, read for the first time last July. The first seven (as I shall read them in chronological order) are:

1808*    Elizabeth Hamilton      The Cottagers of Glenburnie

1811      Mary Brunton      Self-Control

1814      Mary Brunton      Discipline 

1815*    Walter Scott      Guy Mannering

1816*    Walter Scott      The Antiquary 

1816      Walter Scott      Tales of My Landlord

1917*    Walter Scott      Rob Roy

* = a re-reading

I shall also be looking at works of literary criticism and biography on the above authors and their milieu. 

Interspersed with the above will be a planned reading of Arnold Bennett's most famous novels, all in the Penguin first editions I purchased last December. AND starting to watch my Fifty Great War Films on DVD !

Lockdown, so beastly in nearly every other way, is an ideal time for uninterrupted reading. Well, Amber and Brodie, our Border Collie and Westie, will ensure it is not entirely uninterrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment