Thursday 12 August 2021

Hay-on-Wye. The Book Town

While the cat's away, the mouse will play; so, off I went to Hay-on-Wye - scene of many a book-buying fest in the past. Apart from the mandatory masks in most of the shops, remarkably little had changed. And yet... Hay Castle, dominion of the King (Richard Booth) was shut with scaffolding all over the place. Stella & Rose had gone (back to their H.Q. near Tintern?); the Poetry Bookshop had moved nearer the centre; Addyman's Books and Richard Booth's Emporium seemed inferior to the past. Only the Cinema Bookshop delivered the 'goodies' this time. I always start there, with good parking by the building. 

On this occasion, with plenty of time as I was staying overnight nearby, I went through their 'Books for £1' much more slowly and picked up two bargains.

                       
Philip Magnus biography (1964)                   Richard Mullen biography (1990)

The Magnus book can join the one by Giles St Aubyn: Edward VIII. Prince & King (1979); while Richard Mullen's joins my ever expanding collection of Trollope biographies. Only last week I picked up another Trollope, again for £1, at the Astley Book Farm.

C. P. Snow biography (1975)

I read all the Barchester novels a few years ago - in the 'right' order, of course - and Dr. Wortle's School. It won't be for the last time.

What of the other purchases? A mixed bag. First, several on Napoleon III, a man I have a real 'soft spot' for. I think I have said before - it's his boulevards!


Then, a book to add to my small collection on Smuggling and another on the beautiful river, the Windrush, which flows past one of my favourite spots in southern England - Minster Lovell Hall.


Finally, two oddments - nothing to do with each other or any of the above. Having twice gone round the Museum of the Risorgimento in Rome, I have a great regard for Garibaldi (I like his biscuits, too). I have often wanted to read M. R. James' Ghost Stories (egged on by my esteem for Meade Falkner's The Lost Stradivarius); so, I picked up a cheap Wordsworth edition paperback - and read two that very night.


A good haul, methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment